Madsen Project Development

Uncategorized

I started thinking about the Madsen commission this week and have made a number of decisions.  I wanted to find the insect that made the perforations in the books, which turned out to be called book worms (!) who would have thought it?  I think perhaps the best way to go is to try out a few different things and see what happens.  Hopefully lots of things will happen and I don’t want to think about what if everything fails and I have nothing for the exhibiton (somehow I don’t think I can get away with ‘but the worms ate all my homework).  So I bought a womery so I could try feeding some worms some damp paper, books and soil.

Turns out the best thing I could do is just go down to the pet shop and speak to the shopkeeper who recommend I try meal worms who will eat paper too, so I bought a bag of them along with some worms from a fishing shop.

ImageImage

ImageImage

After stumbling across this incredible project by MIT, I decided I wanted to work with silk worms and to spin cocoons over books.  I’m excited about this the most, because it is the one that relates closest to the work I’m making in the studio: the wrapping, the preservation, the protection.

ImageImage

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s